EMF radiation is everywhere – in our homes, our workplaces, in our cars and even when we go out to eat. In order to protect ourselves, it can be useful to know how much of this EMF radiation we are exposing ourselves to. The best way to do this is by testing at your home. This is because your highest exposure will occur in the places you spend the most time.
EMF exposure comes from a variety of sources including:
- Cell phones/cordless phones
- Bluetooth devices
- Smart meters
- Wifi routers
- Wireless headsets
- Video game consoles
- Smart home technology
- Wireless baby monitors
- And various other sources
In order to test for EMF in your home you will need a device called a ‘power density meter.’ This device has been designed to measure radio and microwave frequency ranges. We recommend that our customers use this type of device if they want to see for themselves that our products (or any type of EMF-blocking products) are working.
If you use a different type of meter, you may get inaccurate results. This is mainly because you will be measuring frequency that our products don’t shield (there are many different types of EMF radiation; our products are designed to reduce your exposure to the type of EMF radiation emitted by wireless technology).
The best way to measure is to start by reading the EMF levels of a product, such as a cell phone or tablet. After you get that reading, place one of our shielding devices over the product and measure the EMF again with the meter you are using. The reduction in EMF will let you know that the SYB product is working properly. You can do this with virtually every product in your home.
There are other ways to reduce some of the EMF you are being exposed to in your home. One way is to turn off your Wifi router when not in use. And turn off your other devices when you’re not using them as well. This will aid in reducing your exposure to EMF radiation.
A few quick tips to help your testing going a bit more smoothly:
- Hold your meter as still as possible when measuring for EMF. Movement can cause inaccurate readings.
- Don’t touch the EMF source, such as a cell phone, when doing a reading. The body is an EMF conductor so if you touch the device you are reading you may get readings that are not correct.
- Understand the Maximum Levels. When your meter is saying it is reading at the max level it means that EMF is at least at that level, but levels can be higher.
- Keep in mind that a good meter will cost a bit of money. A cheap meter will be just that – cheap – and may not be a good quality meter.
You may never know the exact risks in your home if you don’t test for them. And the results may shock you, which is why we always suggest you limit your exposure by keeping a distance from your devices and limiting your use wherever possible.
For more valuable information on testing for EMF radiation in your home, check out our ‘How To Test’ ebook.